Music Therapy is the clinical & evidence-based use of music interventions to accomplish individualized goals within a therapeutic relationship by a credentialed professional who has completed an approved music therapy program. (www.musictherapy.org)
- Children and adults with developmental disabilities such as Autism, Down’s Syndrome, Fragile X Syndrome, Rhett Syndrome, etc.
- Children and adults with physical disabilities such as Cerebral Palsy and Spina Bifada
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- The aging elderly with neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s Disease
- Learning Disabilities
- Mental Health Needs
- Client stays on task/maintains attention longer when attending to an art task rather than a non-art task
- There aren’t many other approaches that are effective
- Art-making or art-related tasks appear to be motivating to the client and the client is able to complete tasks and follow directions while engaged with art.
- Client interacts positively with art tools and materials, and is willing to engage with them.
- If experiencing physical pain, the client demonstrates relief from pain through distraction with art, music or sensory techniques (Noted by change in facial expression, deeper breathing, or verbally expressing relief)
- Client demonstrates focus/attention on art-making or art materials.
Services - Where & How
Music Therapy and Art Therapy services can be provided at our clinic location in Wauwatosa, or we can come to you at your home or facility throughout Milwaukee and the surrounding counties.
Music Therapy and Art Therapy services can be provided on an individual basis as well as in a group environment.
Here's what people are saying about us...
My mother died this morning, so I wanted to let you know that. I am so grateful for the care that Alisha and Rachel have shown her. The music brought joy into her life and my only regret is that I did not sign her up sooner! I spread the word about music therapy, and Healing Harmonies, whenever possible. You provide such a valuable service, and on a personal level, you have all been so kind and compassionate. I am also grateful for having specifically found Healing Harmonies.
Ann R, daughter of client, Lee. R